Perfect bound books are made from gathered signatures that are gathered on top of each other in numerical sequence. The spine is then ground off to get rid of the folds and expose the edge of each sheet. The grinding process notches the paper to allow the glue to spread and adhere properly to the cover.
Maximum Spine (Head to Foot): 17″ *Minimum Spine (Head to Foot): 5″
Maximum Width (Spine to Face): 12″ Minimum Book Width (Spine to Face): 3 3/4″
Maximum Spine Thickness: 2″ Minimum Spine Thickness: 1/16″
*We can create smaller perfect bound books, but the books would have to be printed with the extra paper at the head, foot and face or as 2 up.
- We can create small perfect bound books, but the books would have to be printed with extra paper on head, foot and face and trimmed off line or 2 up.
- Covers must not have any coating, ink or varnish on spine and hinge area, where glue makes the contact with paper. Hinge area on guts must also be free of any coating or varnish. When printed digitally, there should be no fuser oil or printing where glue makes the contact with paper.
- Minimum size of the covers must be at least 8 ½” wide and 6” on spine (head to foot ).
- Cover must be ¼” bigger than folded signatures to provide for glue trap.
- Make sure to allow 1/8” grind for the spine (maximum 3/16”).
- Pre-folded signatures must be perfed on the folds and spine. Spine edge must be closed fold.
- Maximum trim off on signatures for auto trimming must not be more than ¾” on standard size book. On books more than 12” it cannot be more than ¼” on face.
- Please always provide a sample and rule out marked with guide and gripper.
Folded signatures must be perfed on the folds and the spine edge must be closed fold. For proper adhesion of P.U.R. glue, the entire spine and hinge area of the inside cover must be free of ink & any type of coating & the spine edge of the text (grind off + 1/16″) must be free of any type of coating.